Tuesday, February 18, 2014

D. Cardoza - My Life with PCOS


My Life with PCOS
D. Cardoza

Since the day I hit puberty at 14, I somehow knew I would have fertility issues, though at the time I had no idea why.  My cycles have always been very irregular and I had facial hair.  Being of German ancestry, I just assumed the facial hair was normal.

It wasn’t till years later that I came across a short article in Woman’s World, I believe, that talked about PCOS and some symptoms.  And those symptoms fit me!  I went to my internist who ran some tests.  While the tests didn’t support a PCOS diagnosis, my doctor believed I did have it due to my symptoms.  I was thin, young, and didn’t know much so the only thing I did about my symptoms was go for laser hair removal, which didn’t wind up working, so I went back to shaving my face every morning.  Boy, does that make a woman feel feminine.

I honestly didn’t give it much thought for many years.  I got married, divorced, and eventually remarried again.  I had gained weight during my first marriage that I attributed to being less active and more of a happily married homebody couple.  I lost weight afterwards as I was out dancing for hours on end three to four nights a week.  I gained weight again in my second marriage and attributed it to the same thing.

In 2001, my husband and I decided to start a family.  Knowing I would have problems, we went straight to a reproductive endocrinologist.  Pre-IVF testing this time showed I did have PCOS (along with an immune issue).  The doctor put me on Metformin to help me lose weight before any cycles to conceive.  I wasn’t on it for long when my husband and I decided to build our family another way.  My weight wasn’t a big issue at the time, and I still didn’t know all I do now about PCOS, so I stopped taking the Metformin.

To build our family, we chose surrogacy – traditional surrogacy.  That involves having someone else carry your child and having that same woman donate her egg.  When my husband and I were deciding on which option to pursue, it occurred to me one day that I might pass on PCOS and any other fertility issues to her.  I realized it was no guarantee, but if I could avoid it, I was going to do it.  I just wanted to be a mom and it truly didn’t matter how that happened.

I’m now at a point in my life where I need to do something about my weight and my health.  When I entered my second marriage, I was so incredibly embarrassed about having to shave my face every day.  I don’t think I told anyone … and I mean anyone … until about two years ago, not even my husband.  Thankfully, he’s an incredible man and it made absolutely no difference to him … neither the hair nor the weight.  But, I need to get and be healthy for my daughter.  I want to be around for the long haul, especially since I’m an older mom.  I have the self-confidence every woman should have because of who they are on the inside.  I wish I had this all along and will do all I can to instill it in my daughter.

 I’m lucky.  I don’t have debilitating symptoms that some women with PCOS do.  Right now, I’m thoroughly educating myself on PCOS so I can help others, and to get the word out and educate the public so no woman with PCOS ever feels embarrassed by what others may think.

Knowledge is power, right? 

2 comments:

  1. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition that affects a woman's hormone levels. Women with PCOS produce higher-than-normal amounts of male hormones. This hormone imbalance causes them to skip menstrual periods and makes it harder for them to get pregnant.But with Agbara Herbal Cleanser, This Pcos will be cured and it will regulate and balance your Hormones and You will get Pregnant very easy, Use Agbara Herbal Cleanser , Cure your Pcos and get pregnant very fast. The cysts are not harmful, but they can lead to an imbalance in hormone levels. Women with PCOS may also experience menstrual cycle abnormalities, increased androgen (sex hormone) levels, excess hair growth, acne, and obesity…
    Most ovarian cysts are small and don't cause symptoms. If a cyst does cause symptoms, you may have pressure, bloating, swelling, or pain in the lower abdomen on the side of the cyst. This pain may be sharp or dull and may come and go. If a cyst ruptures, it can cause sudden, severe pain., To avoid all this pains and cure it completely, Just use Agbara Herbal Deep Cleanser, and everything will be clear and you can get pregnant without any problem. drcureherbalhome@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article is very useful this information and if you are required for the best Top ivf clinics in India visit link.

    ReplyDelete