Friday, November 21, 2014

#PCOS a Systemic Breakdown


#PCOS a Systemic Breakdown

Author: Ashley Levinson
Twitter: @pcosgurl

November 21, 2014 – Mantua, New Jersey



Many are faced with a conundrum when learning and dealing with PCOS which is; What am I really dealing with?

What PCOS is, and what it does to women who have it, is complicated to explain as symptoms and severity of the syndrome can vary from person to person. Some of the classic symptoms are drastic weight gain, hair loss, depression, fatigue, thyroid problems, high cholesterol, panic attacks, headaches, dizzy spells, poor memory or muddled mind, sleeping disorders, constant thirst, extreme cravings, insulin resistance, cystic acne, cystic ovaries, menstrual cycles without ovulation, irregular cycles, severe mood swings, high testosterone levels, infertility problems, excess facial and body hair, not to mention a seven times greater risk than an average woman for four major health concerns affecting women in the United States today including heart disease, diabetes, endometrial cancer and stroke.

Even though #PCOS was first recognized over 75 years ago, we are no closer to understanding its cause or its treatment.  There is no singular test that can conclude whether a woman or girl has the syndrome instead it is a collection of symptoms, history and diagnostic testing. As a result once a doctor concludes it is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, they manage the symptoms to prevent long-term health consequences such as infertility, diabetes and heart disease.

So by now you are probably wondering if you do not already know


What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (#PCOS)?

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal problem in women. It is also a metabolic disorder that affects several body systems and can cause significant long-term health consequences. PCOS is often characterized by enlarged ovaries, with multiple small painless cysts or follicles, that form in the ovary. Two other key features of PCOS are production of excess androgens (male sex hormones) and anovulation (the failure to ovulate properly), which makes PCOS the leading cause of infertility.


So How does PCOS Affect my Body?

PCOS or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome got its name because many women with PCOS have changes in their ovaries including small cysts that surround the ovary looking as if it is a pearl necklace on ultra sounds.  However PCOS is not a gynecological problem, rather an endocrine disorder that changes how your body reacts to some hormones, like insulin. The body uses insulin to turn food, especially sugar, into energy with #PCOS insulin sensitivity and insulin resistance can make it harder to process insulin. High levels of insulin cause more androgens (male hormones) to be made in a woman's body. With higher levels of androgens, which all women have, a woman can show some male signs like acne, male patterned baldness or extra hair on the face or body.

Other issues that can wreak havoc on women with PCOS are weight gain, especially around the mid-section (apple shape) and infertility as hormone changes can keep a woman from having an ovum (egg) released from her ovary every month which can cause her to skip periods (amenorreah) or have problems getting pregnant.  As insulin increases in a woman with this syndrome it can also lend itself to (acathosis nigracans) or darkened skin in the neck, armpits and skin tags.



So Why is getting diagnosed so difficult?

There are two reasons why so many women with PCOS are undiagnosed for years:

1. Some doctors may think that girls will "grow out" of irregular periods, not recognizing that it is not normal to have irregular periods

2. Other doctors, mostly gynecologists, KNOW that a woman or girl has PCOS, but fail to mention or discuss it with their patients

PCOS is diagnosed by taking a history, doing a physical exam, getting blood tests, and possibly getting an ultrasound. Of these 4 things, the most important is a history of irregular periods: if you tell a doctor your periods are irregular, chances are nearly 100% that you have PCOS.

The number one, two and three warning signs of PCOS are irregular periods, irregular periods, and irregular periods!

Also: trouble conceiving.


What treatments are available for PCOS?

PCOS is probably multifactorial, and has different causes in different women. However, in most women, the insulin levels are very high. The high insulin levels drive the ovary to produce too much testosterone. So in most women, the key is to lower the insulin levels, which in turn will lower the testosterone. The most effective ways to lower insulin are:

1. exercise, both aerobic and weight-training
2. avoid simple carbohydrates. Period.
3. take insulin-lowering medications to help make exercise and diet more effective


What is being done to learn more about treatment and diagnosis for PCOS?

Although the etiology of the syndrome is unclear, there are currently markers being researched. A forum in 2013 outlined the possible causes and effects of #PCOS and is calling for government recognition and research into these areas. 

Potential areas of further research activity include the analysis of predisposing conditions that increase the risk of PCOS, particularly genetic background and environmental factors, such as endocrine disruptors and lifestyle


PCOS Forum: Research in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Today and Tomorrow



In closing PCOS affects various women in various ways however it should never be left unchecked! Even if you don't want children, it is essential to treat PCOS. The high insulin and testosterone lead to high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol and eventually diabetes. These are the big three conditions that lead to heart disease.

If you suspect you or someone you knows has PCOS be sure to speak with a PCOS friendly doctor and stay informed. Information is key to living a healthier life with any condition you face!




16 comments:

  1. Thank you AShley! I am unplugged for a 30 day period and I am glad I got your tweet via email in order to read this post. I have been diagnosed for 20 years having PCOS. It took me almost 16 years to even consider the long term emotional damage it has caused me. Although I have a traumatized youth, I am now able to understand the effect PCOS also has on my emotional triggers. I dont blame PCOS but I do know that it plays a great part in how i live my life. I have chosen not to take any medications. I am learning to eat a very low carb diet and can already see a difference in hirsutism. I hope that as I continue to learn and grow I am able to manage my symptoms and have a voice like yours. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How i got a cure for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

    I actually promised myself that i will do this because i never in life thought i would be cured of PCOS because my gynecologist told me there was no cure and because of this i could not take in and get pregnant. I had PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) for 7 years and this was a big pain to me and my husband due to the downcast we felt for not having a child. I experienced irregular periods or no periods at all sometimes, heavy periods, i gained weight (fat). I seeked a cure from one doctor to the other used androgen, clomiphene, metformin and even traveled to different states to see other doctors to no avail. My husband got to know about Dr. ALeta via a testimony he read on the internet on how a woman got a cure and he contacted her with the contact she left. I got the herbal medication and used it for the speculated 3 months that was all i have a son who is just 8 months old. Do not give up just contact her on (aletedwin@gmail.com) on how to get the herbal medication. Thanks and i wish you get cured soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY NAME IS KATE I GIVE ALL THANK TO DR WILLIAMS.

    his product is by far the best plan for treating fibroids naturally...the practical step by step instructions and the detailed information regarding the real cause and how to treat uterine fibroids were a real eye opener. I started dr williams medication after intense bleeding and pain which occurred during one of my rehearsals (I am a professional violinist).I was later that week diagnosed with 2 medium sized fibroids which placed an enormous pressure on my bladder. I was advised by 3 different doctors to undergo surgery to remove these fibroids as I was told that there was nothing I could do to shrink or stop their growth. Luckily, I ran into dr williams by accident as I was searching for information on the net regarding my condition. I was so relieved to have found that surgery was not always the answer, that it can be dangerous and that uterine fibroid can return even after surgical intervention. In less than 4 weeks of taking dr williams herbal portion and following his instruction, both of my fibroid had shrunk by 100% and the second ultrasound taken 7 weeks after I began taking dr williams medication, had shown that both of these were completely gone. I also my periods became regular. and now am three months old pregnant, you can contact his email address on drwilliams098765@gmail.com for advice and for his product

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you finding it difficult to get PREGNANT as a result of POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME (PCOS) or FIBROID? Dr. Uduehi has the cure to your problem, he cured me of PCOS and my sister of Fibroid. I was diagnosed of PCOS and I have battled with infertility for years even with the help of fertility drugs there were still no pregnancy, some months ago my husband came with the ideal of contacting a doctor he was told about. We contacted him and he did administered his medication on me and after the encounter I became well and am pregnant at the moment. Here is the contact to reach him: uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com phone/WhatsaPP: +2347084878384

    ReplyDelete
  5. After many years of marriage with a wonderful husband no child until God use Dr.Ogbes to help me with his roots and herbs , first i thought the testimonies i see about Dr.Ogbes how he help women to conceive was not real but now i have confirm it my self with full assurance there is nothing God can not do thank you once again Dr.Ogbes for your help.you can email him or call via>>> landofanswer@gmail.com or call +2347050270227.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PCOD and PCOS are often used interchangeably. However, there is a
    Difference between PCOD and PCOS
    is the milder form where the symptoms are mainly limited to ovaries and reproductive system. Whereas, PCOS is an advanced form, where the symptoms occur throughout the body in terms of weight gain, facial hair growth, acne, hair loss along with the menstrual irregularities. PCOS requires correct treatment, modification of diet, and lifestyle. Click on more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of heavy menstruation, and she always have difficulty falling asleep . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who have the cure to pcos . I never imagined polycystic ovary syndrome. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete



  8. I can’t believe I’m a little more than halfway through my pregnancy. 25 weeks are tough. But when I feel my baby’s little kicks I just smile. I thank IYa Hindi herbal for your wonderful product and almighty father for this new life on the way and for my supporting husband. My advice for everyone female out there is a solution to get rid of fibroids with going through surgery. I highly recommend you to contact Iya Hindi Native via WhatsApp messenger . +19145295224 visits his register website: https://iyahindinative.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Blog...
    Thanks for sharing the great information with us.

    If you want the best and affordable treatment of PCOS problem then you can meet the finest PCOS Doctor in Moga at Gomti Thapar Hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very informative article. Many are unaware about what is PCOS. But today most of the infertility issues women are facing is caused by this. Gynecologist In South Delhi will give you the best treatment, they are focused in your health and comfort. Beware of choosing the hospital and doctor who is about to treat you during the entire period of pregnancy. Rosewalk hospital offers you the Best Gynecologist in South Delhi for Normal Delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. Thanks for the share.indiraivf.com is a unique opportunity to get full service surrogacy, egg donation and IVF treatment agency in India.For more details Visit Here

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but brink back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) since my 20 years of age. Ever since i got married i have not been able to get pregnant, so i was completely barren due to this genetic disorder. I was prescribed several Clomid Meds but couldn't see any improvement. I would basically go from one outbreak to the next. Finally, on my best friend's recommendation about Dr James herbal mix medicine who cures all kinds of diseases with his herbal medicine, I decided to try his  herbal remedy which is made in liquid form with natural roots and herbs from Dr James. Within a few weeks, I could see improvements in the symptoms.
    My Menstrual Period has been maintained to normal,I used this medicine for two weeks and after some months later i began to have some early symptoms of pregnancy, its been over a year and some months now since i used that medicine and i have successfully given birth to a child,after been childless for many years due to this PCOS Syndrome. I would recommend this medicine to my other friends out there who are suffering from PCOS or any kind of diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him ON : drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com And You can call/WhatsApp dr James on +2348152855846 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very informative post!
    Thanks for sharing.
    If you are looking for the best gynecologist in bhubaneswar then DR SN Mohanty is the best & most experienced gynecologist in Bhubaneswar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. get our top best homeopathic treatment for pcod in Mumbai from dr sonal jain. she has overt 15 years of experience as a homeopathic consultant

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Blog. Thanks for sharing this useful information about IVF treatment, reach my blog the Best IVF Centre in Punjab and find complete detail about IVF treatments.

    ReplyDelete